Thursday, September 30, 2010

Rome already feels like home!!

The first time I came to Rome 4 years, I knew that I was going to live here one day. It's weird, because I'm not a city person whatsoever, but I feel at home here, and I did from the moment the plane touched down. And I didn't expect to feel so close to my fellow ESM'ers this soon. We're like a little family already. We joke around with each other constantly and aren't afraid to act completely crazy. Especially Nia and I. For those of you who don't know, Nia Hunt went to the same university as I did, and now we're both at the ESM. I sometimes feel like we're truly living up to the "crazy American" stereotype. We're definitely the loudest ones here, and laugh outrageously all the time. It's so interesting to see so many cultures coming together and interacting. It's like an allegory for the universal Church - people from all over coming together for the common goal of serving Christ.

On Tuesday, we all went to St. Peter's together for the first time. As Nia put it so well, when you walk in there, everything just makes sense. It was crazy to be back. What an incredibly beautiful, holy place. We were able to go down to the tombs of the Pope's as well, and praying in front of the tomb of JPII, as well as that of St. Peter. Whoa...

Nia and I took a beautiful walk down to St. Peter's at night. I had never seen it lit up before. Amazing. We hung out in the square and talked for a long time, and then picked up some gelato at Old Bridge, arguably the best place in the city. So good! I'm addicted.

On Wednesdy, we hung out at the San Lorenzo, which is the youth center that JPII houses, and where the World Youth Day cross resides. The people who work there are amazing, and we'll be doing alot of work there throughout the year, so it was great to get to finally meet them.

Afterward, a few of us hit the city. We went into a random church, and it turns out that St. Philip Neri is buried there! We continued on and went to Piazza Navona, one of the most famous squares in Rome. It is filled with shops, restaurants, churches, and fountains. There are always street performers and artists entertaining the masses.

We've been playing alot of cards at the ESM, and it gets crazzzzyyyy! We played this game called Logretto, and people were screaming and running around everywhere. We definitely feel comfortable around each other!

Tomorrow we leave for Assisi! Right now we're having our opening mass. Gotta go! I'll pray for you all!!! :)

Seeking the Heart of Christ, in the heart of the Church,
Eric

2 comments:

  1. I always knew you would be there again someday as well! I am glad to hear you are feeling so at home. That gives me much comfort. And I have no doubt you fit the role of "crazy american"! Have a great week in Assisi! Much love to you and many prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you already feel at home! I knew you would have an amazing time and make friends! Hope all is well! luvs! :) -kari

    ReplyDelete