Friday, September 24, 2010

Last day!

My last day at home. I was trying to contemplate what I could fit into a day. And then I realized, I don't want my last day to be some crazy, hectic, tornado of insanity. I just want to "be."

I tried to just "be" all morning. I went to mass, hung out at home a bit. And I was doing pretty well at "being" too, until the incredibly ridiculous reality of my Visa fiasco began to weigh down on me. Was it going to come in time?! Only God knew. It had been six weeks. Six weeks, when they told me two. And now, the day before I leave, I still did not have it in my hand. I was actually surprisingly calm and unworried, until I called the Italian Consulate in Pittsburgh, and the lady was freaking out that I hadn't received it yet. Needless to say, that didn't really put me at ease. She recommended that I go to the post office to see if there was ANYTHING they could do to see if the Visa had been shipped, and to get it to me asap. So I hung up and was preparing to leave for the post office. My heart began to race, for the question I had been avoiding for the past few weeks finally flooded into my mind. What if I don't get it in time?

Just about the time my anxiety was skyrocketing, my mom walks out of the laundry room. She comes into the kitchen and says, "Look at this." She was holding a small crucifix, one that would attach to the end of a rosary. I took it, and, looking at it, realized I had never seen it before. Neither had she. I asked her where it came from, and she said it had come out of the washing machine. I figured it must have been in someone's pocket and fallen out. But she informed me that she was only washing the whites, and that there was nothing with pockets in there. I turned the crucifix over, and on the back was inscribed the word "Fatima." Now you may not know this about me, but I'm semi-obsessed with Fatima - the place where the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to 3 children in 1917. Ever since I learned about it as a small child I've had an attraction to it, which has developed into a devotion to Our Lady of Fatima over the years. In fact, I just finished a book written by Sister Lucia, one of the visionaries of Fatima, and it kind of changed my life. So even in the past week my love for Fatima has grown. Once I saw this crucifix, I knew that Our Lady had everything under control. So I left to go to the post office. I didn't even have the tracking number for the package, so I didn't know what good this trip was going to do. I walked in and told the lady my situation. About half way through, she interrupted me and exclaimed, "I have it!" It took me a second to process, and then I was like, "What?! You have it?" "Ya," she said, "I was just about to send it out, but you beat me to it." I was basically jumping up and down as she handed me my long-awaited Visa, and I went home to share the amazing news with my mom. Within only a few minutes of receiving the crucifix, I had also received my Visa. A true miracle of Fatima, right in my own home! I can say one thing for sure, that crucifix is not leaving my side during the next year! Mama has got an eye out for me. Gotta love her :)

Several other things went on throughout the day: alot of hugs, many goodbyes, the start and conclusion of my packing, some last-minute trampoline jumping, time with family and friends, and just "being." It was quite a normal day, and if I wasn't leaving tomorrow, I'm sure it would blend in with most other days at home. And that's exactly what I wanted. A normal day, doing normal things. I'm sure I won't have many of those this next year, so it was nice to have just one more.

I guess the next time I post, I'll be in Rome. Wow. God is so good. Our Lady is so good.

Our Lady of Fatima, you've made it clear that you're here for me. I'm dedicating this year to you. Be my guide and protectress along the journey. Bless all of your children throughout the world, and bring us only ever to your Son.

Ciao for now! Next time, from Roma!!!

Seeking the Heart of Christ, in the heart of the Church,
Eric

3 comments:

  1. We hope you made it there safely. We are praying for you!!! Much love!!
    mom and dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! What an amazing story! It made me cry!

    I'm so proud of you for following the call to go to Rome. You are so brave! Even though I will miss texting you and seeing you at CHWC reunions, I'm so glad you went. I am so excited to read your blogs and hear your stories. Please let me know if you need any prayers, or anything at all. Sending many hugs and much love! -Kari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am so glad you have a blog to record your experiences in Roma!!! I will be reading.
    Great story about OLOFatima and your VISA!
    Our Lady surely is with you in a special way.
    Thinking of and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete