Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bongiorno from Roma!!!

I made it! And what a crazy adventure it was...but definitely blessed!

So my parents and I left on the morning of Saturday the 25th. I was flying out of JFK in New York, so they drove me up there. My aunt works for Delta and was able to get me a cheap flight, the only catch being that I was on standby. So we drove up there, through the crazy NYC traffic, and made it to the airport. After checking my baggage and all that fun stuff, it was time to go through security. So I said goodbye to my parents for what I thought would be the last time. The Lord had other plans!

I went to my gate, and all of the employees had been telling me I had an excellent, almost guaranteed in fact, chance of getting on the plane. So I wasn't worried at all. I saw my name on the standby list, and I was near the very bottom. More and more people were making it on to the plane, but I still thought nothing of it. Eventually, only one other girl and I were on the standby list, and there was one spot left. A minute later, they called my name to come and check in. I went up to the desk, and the guy was like "Yay, you got the last seat!...Oh wait, nevermind I made a mistake, you're not on." So that was kind of a bummer. I called my parents, who had waited at the airport, knowing this was a possibility. So I ended up seeing them about an hour later, rather than many months. We got a hotel, went out for an excellent NY pizza, and just hung out and went to bed.

After mass on Sunday morning, we decided to try our luck at traveling into the city. As always, the traffic was out of control. It took us about an hour to get to the ferry for the Statue of Liberty. When we got there, we decided we probably didn't have enough time to go over, so we decided to walk around the area instead. There was a nice little park with a fort from the Revolutionary War, so we visited here first. Then we trekked into the heart of the city. After turning down Broadway, we saw signs for Ground Zero, so we decided to go there. I had been there once before, about 3 years ago, but I had forgotten the indescribable feeling of entering that space. Crazy. There was a beautiful memorial to the firefighters, which I missed last time.

After walking around this past sight of destruction and future sight of a beautiful memorial, we found a really cool area right down by the river. There were restaurants and shops, and a tree-lined walkway that skirted the water. So we decided to just grab burgers and eat down here. After hanging out for a bit, we realized that the walkway would lead us back to exactly where we started, by the ferry. So we followed this all the way back, until the Statue of Liberty was directly across from us.

By now it was almost 2, so we hopped back in the car and headed to the airport. This time, all I needed to do was go through security, so I had tons of time. I hung out with my parents for a few hours, and then we had to say goodbye for real this time. Not fun at all. But as my mother texted me, seconds before I took off, "You are not flying alone. Your holy Mother and her Son are with you!" A infinitely comforting reminder.

Needless to say, I made my flight!!! The man that I sat beside, Carlo, was from Rome, but spoke English, and he was extremely interesting. We ended up talking for most of the flight, which definitely cut in to my sleep time, but it was worth it. I slept an hour or two, and when I woke up, the map on the screen informed me that the dark expanse below me was France! And soon after, as the sun broke the horizon, Italy was visible several miles below!!

After landing an hour early, I got my luggage and waited for someone from the ESM to pick me up. Eventually I ran in to Helen, one of the women who works there. She's from Australia, and is super awesome. Nia arrived shortly after. I can't describe how good it was to see her!! Seeing that Regina Angelorum sweatshirt in the middle of Italy made my heart smile.

We grabbed a taxi and literally FLEW to the ESM. If you didn't know, the Italians + driving = a dangerous combination. On the way we passed by the Hotel Gelsomino, where the wonderful Spring 09 Austria crew all stayed, just a year and a half ago. So many memories came flooding back in that instant. And shortly after that, the ESM came into view!! My home for the next year! It's beautiful.

Immediately after entering, I got to meet 2 of my fellow students, Daniel from Ohio and Natalia from Columbia. Crazyyy!! We had mass at noon, followed by lunch, during which I met Bernadette from Australia, Juan from Miami, and Adela from Nicaragua. The rest of the day was free, so we did what any normal Roman would do - went to St. Peter's, and then got gelato!!!

It's weird - I've been here before, but it feels different this time. I think when coming as a tourist, I had the mentality of "try to cram seeing 20496 things into the shortest time possible," whereas now it has a feeling of permanence to it all. I don't have to see everything now, because it will still be there tomorrow.

We went to the San Lorenzo, a youth center started by JPII, where we will be doing a lot of work. The chapel there houses the World Youth Day cross! We got to meet the staff and talk with them. They're from all over as well - England, Australia, Belgium...Rome is such a crazy place.

The rest of the evening consisted of filling out paperwork that will ensure that we can stay here for the year. Nia kept falling asleep and I'd have to poke her with my pen.

First day in Rome. I don't really know how I feel. I'm excited, anxious, blessed, awestruck, let's be honest, terrified. But I know that I was called to this place, and that God will use every single experience, small or large, to bring about His plan for my life. I just pray that I can stay out of His way.

I pray that you are all doing well. Please pray for me.

Seeking the Heart of Christ, in the heart of the Church,
Eric

2 comments:

  1. ERIC I LOVE YOUR BLOG OH MY GOODNESS.
    soooo excited youre there safe and i can't wait to hear more about your crazyyyy adventures!! i'm praying for you like woah esp on adoration tuesdays haha love you SOOO SO much! keep having fun, keep writing on diiisss, && skype me as soon as you can!!

    PEACE && BLESSINNSS
    oh, and be considedate alwayyss
    looveeeeeeeeeee, sally smily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Austria Spring '09!
    That said, you're in my prayers. Have fun! God bless!

    - Brian Formica

    ReplyDelete